- 2 pounds cultivated mussels
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups Antonio Carlo Homemade Marinara
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced Italian bread, preferably toasted in a broiler or on a grill, for serving
Put the mussels in a large pot and add the water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook just until the shells open, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the opened mussels to a colander, discarding any unopened mussels. Reserve the cooking liquid.
Line a wire strainer with moistened paper towels and set over a medium bowl. Strain the cooking liquid through the strainer. Measure and reserve ½ cup of the strained liquid.
Bring the reserved cooking liquid, marinara, wine, parsley, and oregano to a boil over high heat. Cook, stirring often, until reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes. Add the mussels, cover, and cook until the mussels are reheated, about 3 minutes more. Season again with salt and pepper. Divide the mussels and sauce evenly among four soup bowls. Serve hot, with the toasted bread.