Nona's Chicken Parmesan
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tbsp. water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups Antonio Carlo Homemade Marinara
- 1 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Prepare breading station with 3 large mixing bowls: 1 bowl with panko, garlic powder, and parmesan mixed with a fork; another with the egg mixture; and the third bowl with flour. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then coat each piece of chicken in flour and shake off excess. Dip chicken into egg mixture and then into bread crumb mixture; repeat steps for remaining chicken and set aside on a plate.
- In a deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1" oil. When pan is hot but not smoking, add chicken. Cook about until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm marinara. Turn off heat and place chicken in sauce. Top with mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Top with basil and serve immediately.