Real Deal Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup fresh white bread crumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil
- 1 jar of Antonio Carlo Homemade Marinara
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- Freshly grated Parmesan
Place the ground meats, both bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, and 3/4 cup warm water in a bowl. Combine lightly with a fork. By hand, lightly form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs. Should make around 12 meatballs.
Pour equal amounts of vegetable oil and olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet to a depth of 1/4-inch. Heat the oil. Carefully place the meatballs in the oil and brown them well on all sides over medium-low heat, turning carefully with a spatula or a fork. This should take about 10 minutes for each. It is best to do in batches so you don't crowd the meatballs. Remove the meatballs to a plate covered with paper towels. Discard the oil but don't clean the pan.
Add the jar of marinara sauce to the same pan and return the meatballs. Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 25 to 30 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve hot over cooked spaghetti and top grated Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley.